Tuesday, July 26, 2011

They are new every morning.

Last week we took a team to the Guatemala City dump - and everyone had a very hard time processing what we had seen. No one from the team could figure out how to journal their experience. It's impossible to put into words how you feel the first time you see it in person, and pictures will never even come close to doing it justice. The whole time you're there you're trying to breath shallow because the air is so polluted - and not to mention the smell of the trash. The sewage runs through dirt paths in between the "houses" and you see children & adults both walking barefooted. People look malnourished, 5 or 6 people live in tiny a room made of plastic signs, tarps, and old tin, and they survive by scavenging through trash for food to eat or something that can be recycled to make a few cents. You see people who are broken physically and spiritually.
But then someone smiles at you...
and you remember that God has a plan.

You remember that His plan is not yet complete,
and that His plan is as perfect as He is.

I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I remember them and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind & therefore have hope: Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for Him."  Lametations 3:19-24



Tomorrow I leave Guatemala but I'm already waiting in anticipation to come back. The past two months have been full of nothing but blessings and people who, like Danny & Kim, are giving everything they have to love the lost. God is so good, and it's almost funny how little we understand about His ways. It's easy to get overwhelmed and be discouraged, but we're commanded to be strong and wait. Even though His plan isn't complete, I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Psalms 27:13-14.

Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment