Sunday, October 24, 2010

Day 8

Wow!  So much has gone on this past week that I don't really know where to begin.  How about if I only share the thing that is all over my mind right now.  It's not the new house, the details of getting furniture, a car, or even the fact that my passport was stolen yesterday.  What's on my mind is the people of Guatemala.  The family's that live on such a small amount of money each day.  Everyday is a worry if they will make enough for their family to eat that day or not.  What's on my mind is the need I see all around me, even in the tourist area of Antigua.  The need for Christ, the need for love, the need for a Hope that they do not have!  One family particularly I would like to share with you today is a local family that are trying to make a living through the tourists in Antigua.  I recently sent out an update via email that included a little information about this family.  Tonight, I went to their home outside of Antigua and learned a lot more about my new friends.  The home is the same as I have seen in the "dump" area of the capital.  One room, tin siding and roof that is lined with plastic to help keep the rain out, dirt floor, two twin beds, a box with a few broken toys, no stove, etc.  It cost the family 300 Quetzales per week to live there (which is roughly $37).  This family averages about $5 per day on income.  That is - only when the kids are out of school and able to work too.  The work is selling goods to tourists and locals in the central park in Antigua.  The boys, Domingo (11 yrs) and Antonio (7 yrs), shine shoes.  The two older girls, Alicia (12 yrs) and Rebecca (10 yrs), also work in the park.  Alicia sales ice cream from a push cart with her dad, and Rebecca sales chewing gum.  The youngest girl, Katy (2 yrs tomorrow), stays home mostly with her mother and grandmother.  Occasionally Katy, the mother, and the grandmother go to the park and try to sale material for making clothes.  This family is not in church and do not know Christ.  They were open to listening to me tonight, but not willing to commit.  They are an indigenous people, Quiche, and have strong cultural and religious beliefs.  The kids speak mostly Quiche, but do know a good bit of Spanish.  The parents and the grandmother only speak Quiche.  God has proven himself to me again with giving me the ability to speak Spanish more than I should be able to.  I have been able to communicate rather well with the kids, and through the kids to the parents.  The kids have even taught me a little Quiche.  Please be in prayer for this family.  They need Christ and the hope that only he can bring!













3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I so enjoy your reports on the people. I will include this family in my prayers for you and your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog. We think about you everyday and commit to pray for you and the people of Guatemala that touch. Your life is such a testimony of the love and power of God. We miss you greatly, yet are so proud of you and thankful for you. Thanks for all the updates and love the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow,Danny. I will for sure pray for you and all the souls you come in contact with.

    ReplyDelete